After completing a new installation or restoration of a previously installed hardscape project, the logical next step is to sand and seal to protect the surface. A sealer can provide many benefits including easier maintenance, visual enhancement and protection of the surface. Unfortunately, the vast majority of hardscape installations are unsealed leaving the surface vulnerable to the wear and tear of everyday use and the harsh elements. Be sure to protect the investment of a hardscape project with Surebond Sealers to keep it looking be autiful through the years.
Every interlocking pavement system requires the installation of joint sand to minimize paver movement, promote safety and provide an aesthetically pleasing look. The process of joint sand stabilization leads to hardened sand within the pavement joints which in return helps to reduce sand washout, inhibit weed growth and protect against insect infestation.
Efflorescence is a white haze that may appear on the surface of pavers sometime after installation. It forms as a result of a natural chemical reaction that occurs when the lime or water soluble calcium oxide, produced by the cement contained in the pavers, reacts with water. When the water enters the microscopic capillaries in the pavers, calcium hydroxide is formed. The calcium hydroxide rises to the surface of the paver, reacts with the carbon dioxide in the air, and forms a white haze of calcium carbonate when the moisture evaporates from the surface. The appearance of efflorescence stops when there isn’t any more calcium hydroxide available to move to the surface. This process sometimes can take several months. Efflorescence does not damage pavers. However, it can be unappealing. The white haze may give the impression that the paver color is fading but this is not the case. Efflorescence may occur randomly or be concentrated in certain areas. Dark colored pavers show efflorescence more than lighter-colored ones. If efflorescence does occur, it can be removed with cleaners specially made for concrete pavers. Careless or improper cleaning can result in damage and discoloration to the concrete paver surfaces. If you have an efflorescence issue please contact us and we can make sure to clean and seal for patio or walls to resolve the problem. To schedule call 360-580-5106.
Surebond Sealers Offer Protection Against:
- Weather – Sealed surfaces resist fading from harsh UV rays.
- Water and Freeze/Thaw Conditions – Sealed surfaces resist the damaging effects from water penetration.
- Staining – Sealed surfaces resist the intrusion of stains from food, minerals, nature, weather, dirt and de-icing salt.
- Wear and Tear – Sealed surfaces resist deterioration from the wear and tear of everyday use.
- Moss, Mildew and Mold – Surfaces protected with a Surebond Sealer containing an Anti-fungal Film Protector will resist moss, mildew and mold growth.
Additional Benefits Surebond Sealers Offer: [* select sealers]
- Enhancement* – Surebond Sealers with enhancing properties offer visual improvement by intensifying the color of the surface and/or adding a sheen.
- Joint Stabilization* – Surebond Joint Stabilizing Sealers harden the sand within the pavement joints reducing sand washout, inhibit weed growth and protect against insect infestation.
- Easier Maintenance – Sealed surfaces are easier to clean and maintain by keeping stains from penetrating the hardscape surface.
Surebond Sealers can start protecting new hardscape surfaces immediately after installation because of their unmatched breathability that will not trap efflorescence under the sealer surface. In addition, restoring and then sealing a previously installed project can help bring a dirty, tired-looking hardscape back to life and make it look like almost new again! If you would like to have your patio brought back to life give us a call to schedule a consultation at 360-580-5106 or fill out our contact form.